CHILD ABUSE VICTIMS WELCOME EXECUTIVE ANNOUNCEMENT AND REQUEST SIGHT OF TASKFORCE RECOMMENDATIONS

Survivors and victims of institutional abuse have welcomed the announcement by the First and deputy First Minister that the Northern Ireland Executive will make a decision about establishing an inquiry in the early Autumn after consulting with victims. Margaret McGuckin of Survivors and Victims of Institutional Abuse said: “So far, every promise that Peter Robinson … Continue reading

Abuse probe on Executive agenda – Belfast Telegraph

Friday, 8 July 2011 The terms of an inquiry into historic institutional abuse in Northern Ireland will be announced in the autumn. In conjunction with abuse survivors, Executive ministers said they will explore a series of options and formats over the summer recess. A report prepared by a cross-departmental working group set up to examine … Continue reading

Belfast’s Lord Mayor backs abuse victims – Belfast Telegraph

Victims of institutional abuse have welcomed the support of Belfast’s Lord Mayor in backing their fight for justice. The abuse survivors have been campaigning for an independent public inquiry into the mistreatment they suffered at the hands of Catholic nuns in the former Nazareth House on the Ormeau Road. Yesterday they were given the full … Continue reading

Latest: Victims thank Lord Mayor as they meet at site of Nazareth House

Survivors and victims of institutional abuse have hailed the Lord Mayor for supporting their justice campaign after he met them outside the former Nazareth House on Belfast’s Ormeau Road. Lord Mayor of Belfast Councillor Niall Ó Donnghaile listened to harrowing stories of child abuse when he met former residents of the home and other children’s … Continue reading